Thursday, April 28, 2011


I've been in this city for a week now and am somehow (apprehensively) trying to acknowledge a long lasting relationship with it. I dont really hate Bombay, but am highly intimidated by it. At the risk of sounding silly, I might have to confess that Bombay scares the living daylights out of me, for reasons unknown! :)

But without an option for shrugging or complaining too much, I kept confronting this city and always felt little less lost each time. I think it is the people. Walking across the Dadar station, I was simply thinking of how many people actually live in this (so-called reclaimed) piece of land? If you took this city, turned it upside down and shook it a little, you will be shocked at the number of people that will fall on you. It will be pouring people and no umbrella will save you from the infinite 'rain'. :)

But today I was getting back after shopping in Bandra, as an outsider I could not help but notice the opposites this city offers. Everything you see or experience here has an exact opposite that you will invariably come across. From enjoying free space in a grand black and yellow Fiat taxi to getting squished and smashed on a Thane local from VT at 6pm. From emptying your pockets for Rs. 3.50 vada pav for a fulfilling evening snack, to spending half your paycheck on fancy delectable doughnuts or gourmet gellatos, you do everything here... everything opposite.

Somehow come to think of it, I am not game for such a life. I am spoilt for choices and freedom that Bombay is a far fetched reality for me (fingers crossed). I know I am not cut out for the motley mix here, but at the same time I stand outside, my mind blown away by the character of this place.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I had plans to shift to this intimidating city, my mental picture was exactly the same. You speak more from self experience while I from others'

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 WishList.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.